June 4, 2015

to the incoming freshmen


June 4th, 2015. Today is the day McNeil High School's Class of 2015 walks the stage (congrats graduates!), and today also marks exactly one year of being a McNeil High alumni. Throughout my first year in college, I experienced many downs that could have been (potentially) avoided if I had this information before stepping into the college realm. Here is a list of 10 points that I have gathered (in no particular order) and have heard/applied in my life throughout my freshman year. Some are super cliché, but trust me they're true!

  1. Do NOT procrastinate. I don't care how many times you have heard this phrase in your life but let me say it again. Seriously don't. procrastinate. One of the biggest things I struggled with throughout my first year (especially second semester) was procrastination. As easy as it seems to talk yourself out of your responsibilities (readings, assignments, studying), it's just as easy to see your GPA drop just like that. Especially since you only have 2-4 exams per class that each take up a good chunk (~30%) of your grade, you'll feel like you have so much time to study for each one. But let me tell you, you are wrong. Each exam accounts for so much information - a compilation of all the readings, quizzes, example problems, lectures, powerpoints, etc. - that you have to learn within a certain amount of time. And you certainly should not... cannot... cram all this information the night before. 
  2. Control the caffeine. Following up with the point before, you will pull many all-nighters (or maybe just hours during the day) studying and working on assignments. With that in mind, coffee/caffeinated drinks are a must for some of you but it's important to control how much you intake. Monster... Starbucks... Red Bull... Energy shots... It's easy to get addicted. During my first semester, I had too much caffeine that before I knew it, I was hugging the toilet and throwing up uncontrollably. I felt faint and dizzy, and my entire body was shaking. It's not the best feeling, and I'm telling you now that you will want to prevent this. I know coffee's good (trust me, hazelnut macchiatos... mmm) but if you're still feeling tired after your second cup, go take a nap. It's better to "waste" time sleeping than to do so hovering over your toilet and throwing up everything you ate. 
  3. Plan your time. A planner/agenda is another must for college. I used both a physical agenda and an app called Wunderlist that helped me prioritize certain assignments and get things done on time. It's easy to be swallowed up in everything you have to do, and if you don't write all of them down it's even easier to forget something important. Keep track of your responsibilities!
  4. Find a campus ministry that fits for you. If I chose one word to describe college, it would be freedom. "Free" is exactly how I felt when I spent my first night in my dorm. Without my parents there to nag at me to come home, I felt like I could do anything I wanted. In the beginning of first semester, I was easily steered in the wrong direction. I went to parties every weekend, smoked, drank... everything. To be honest, I still struggle with this temptation. I joined a campus ministry towards the middle of first semester, but I still have thoughts of going out. It's honestly really hard to say no, so that is why I'm giving you this advice to find a campus ministry that fits for you. Find your community, and try to find it fast - before you're sucked in by sororities/fraternities tabling on campus. Ask around, research your university website, and church-hop. Nothing's more satisfying than being a part of a community that truly cares for you on an emotional and spiritual level. 
  5. You don't have to be at every event. Another thing I struggled with during my freshman year was FOMO. Since everyone's on campus (or off campus which is like a 2 mile distance), you see everyone everywhere doing things and planning events. You're constantly aware of where everyone is, and most of the time you are invited to these events as well (hello, Facebook). Prioritizing your academic studies to your social life is essential to preventing your loss of academic stamina. You really don't need to be at every event because soon enough, when you TRULY have the time to go out and socialize, there will be another gathering for you to attend. Sure, I understand you want to get close to everyone as soon as possible. But don't fret and certainly don't push back what's more important to these things. Something I did to help me from FOMO was deleting my snapchat for a certain amount of time. Those Snapstories can hit you with FOMO real hard, so this was an effective solution.
  6. Be yourself. A lot of times when we get to college, we tend to build up an image that isn't really... us. This doesn't mean I'm telling you to be transparent. What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to force yourself to fit in every clique or group by changing who you are. This leads me to my next point.
  7. It takes time to find your "group." I don't know about y'all but it takes me a long ass time to truly find people I click with. I've clashed with many people throughout the year and to be quite frank, I still don't think I have my close-knit of friends. My point here is to tell you that if you don't find your "group" while everyone else may seem like they do, it's okay. It honestly takes so much time and effort, but in the end it will be rewarding to know you have people you trust with all your life. I know upperclassmen who say they found their best friends just last semester while others say they still haven't. Don't feel defeated because you don't have this your first year. I promise you'll find your bridesmaids/groomsmen eventually!
  8. Get your GPA as high as you can. If there is one advice I can specifically remember receiving from upperclassmen, it would be this. All the upperclassmen have told me that freshman year is the easiest, academically. So while you're taking all these introductory courses that you (most likely) have touched base on sometime throughout high school, utilize these as opportunities to jump up your GPA. AIM FOR THAT 4.0! It'll be a lot easier than striving for it your sophomore, junior, and senior year. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it'll be a lot more challenging. So, step up your A-game. Don't slack off because it's your "first year, it doesn't matter." Take this as a chance to get ahead and become a better candidate for grad school (or in the work field in general).
  9. Sometimes the library isn't for everyone. Throughout my first year, I struggled to find that perfect study spot. Whether it was on campus or off campus, there wasn't a single cafe or quiet area that I hadn't tried. The library on campus is a universal study spot for many students, but when it's finals season the library may not be your optimal choice. Because everyone goes here, you're bound to find someone you know. And with that, you will get distracted and most likely not get as much studying as you aimed for. If you're not easily distracted/tempted to take frequent study breaks, then maybe the library is the right place for you. However if you're like me and you're more of an independent studier, avoid the library (especially during finals). Try out different areas that are less popular amongst your campus population like a local cafe or secret areas on higher floor levels, away from everyone else. And once you find that spot, stay there. Prepare your necessities ahead of time (charger, laptop, books, journals, pens, etc.) and always consider the availability of outlets whenever you find your study spot. It's the worst having to move because your laptop's about to die. You lose your study grind you know? Nonetheless I also want to bring up another point. A lot of people have different study habits and environments they can focus the most in. So with that being said, know yourself. Know how efficient you are in quiet or loud areas and if you get the slightest inhibition that your friends you're studying with are distracting you or you can't focus as well as you thought you would, leave. You probably don't want to go to loud, bustling cafes either. My first year I learned a lot about my studying personality. I hope you do too. It's okay to give up your social life to get what you need to get done. You got this!
  10. Call your parents. I don't have much to say about this point besides the fact that your parents will miss you when you're no longer at home every night or helping your mom in the kitchen or your dad out in the lawn. And even though you may tell yourself that you don't miss your parents, you really do. When you're having a rough day, your parents will be the only ones who truly turn your day around. When you need advice or a little more motivation, your parents will provide that for you to the fullest. Call them, Skype them, text them, or go home when you can. Whatever it is, keep in contact with your parents. They miss you and you miss them (deep... deeeeep inside).
Michelle Joo